The Greatest Show on Earth.....

We thought this would be the best & easiest way to keep all our family & friends up to date on our day to day happenings in Whistler. We'll try to make a post each day, however we're not going to fool ourselves. We're not young fella's any more and the days are going to be long. But we'll try our best to include as many of the highlights of our adventure of a lifetime as often as possible.

Bill Pratt & Mike Greer

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Army Visitors

Apparently we are surrounded by the Canadian Armed Forces as part of our protection team and a few of my old Food Service compatriots came into the village for a tour.  I think amazement was an understatement and not just because they saw me in chef whites actually cooking, but to see the magnitude of food services we are providing in our facility. Major Derri, Sgt Lipp and MCpl Lagdon experienced an opportunity of a lifetime to see inside the Olympic Athletes village where most people only get to read about it. As military cooks we feed great food to our diners, I remember 20 years ago when we started to introduce pasta bars and pizza stations along with their meals served on the steamline. Here, we provide food services to 9 food stations plus 2 workforce dining rooms for over 12,000 meals a day in a kitchen no bigger than Windsor Park galley in Halifax (typical 500 man messhall).  I think the highlight of their visit was to meet and Chat with Michael Smith and see him cooking as well. In this kitchen I know the military would be proud of us because all Chef's lead from the front (first in, last out ring a bell?)

Olympic Bill

1 comment:

  1. I found some armed forces on a hike up the mountain. Surprised them a bit not to mention my surprise as he reached back to his holster. Fortunately I was quick enough with my accreditation not get tazed:)

    ReplyDelete